Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why do we forget birthdays?

I forgot my best friends birthday again! and of course, she is mad at me. She sent me a long e mail which said I dont care for her. But hey, thats not true! not true at all. You can never say that the person doesn't love you or care for you just because he/she forgets your birthday

I was just wondering.. Why is it that we rarely remember birthdays?
After deep thinking and rare insights, I have put together some possible explanations:

We forget birthdays because
reason 1) they come only once in a year - now, its only natural to forget things that happen only once a year. My mom has to do blood tests every year, and every year, she forgets! she thinks abt it only weeks later (dont ask me if she remembered my birthday, we will get to that after more thinking and more insights)

reason 2) its not a public holiday! - there are days that come only once in a year, but are still remembered - Independance day, Republic day, Gandhi Jayanthi. I never forget them, not because of the eternal love I have for my country, but because these days are public holidays! they are especially fondly remembered and looked forward to if they prefix or suffix a weekend ;)

but my sister is always mad at me for forgetting, she says that if you really care for a person, you have to take some effort to remember atleast their birthdays. So I did take effort and did remember quite a few birthdays including mine this year. My phone does my remembering. I fed them all in my phone reminder list, with 2 alarm reminders - a day ahead to buy a gift/card and then again on the day so that I dont forget why i bought the gift ;) aint i smart? :)

5 comments:

Anil Gurwara said...

I feel your sister is correct :-)
We can have n no. of reasons am glad you have mentioned just 2 lolz... :-)
Daily before I sleep I go through the calendar in my mobile to know if its someone's birthday that night so that i can make a note & call if need be!

Anyways after all we all are human beings and bound to make mistakes!

Better luck next time buddy!

Shobana Koshy Thomas said...

Bdays are special! And you HAVE to remember them! ;p think we have discussed this enough in office- u & me!
Comeon sne! TRy remembering instead of giving excuses for not rembrng!
All the best!

cking said...

hey

i never knew this many reason of forgeting my best friends birthday..

Unknown said...

Yes its true we do remember all the public holidays but not the birthdays because our lives are scheduled, and we often forget to remember all the special moments of our loved ones. I came across one such website which helps us remember birthdays, anniversaries and all those events. Hope it will help you http://www.forgetmeneversolutions.com> .

Alin said...

thanks Cathy

The long sigh

"Oh thank you my darling" said the gentleman in his hoarse, yet strangely calming voice.  I involuntarily let out a long sigh that...