Monday, May 28, 2007

Things that we take for granted

I finished reading a book titled "Inside the kingdom" by a lady, Carmen Bin Ladin, who had been married to a Saudi Arabian (Osama Bin Laden's brother, none less!) and had lived a good part of life in Saudi.

The book was not exactly an eye opener. These are facts that we already know: oppresion of women and their low status in their country. how in the name of religion, they are not even allowed to think! every other thing is either a sin or a shame.. and women who dare are punished (killing seems to be the regular punishment for such 'offenders')
I wouldn't say this is the best book written on women's plight in the Middle east. Yet, after reading it, I felt a deep sense of relief of having born in a democratic country like India!

Things that we have always taken for granted, the women there have rarely experienced. For example the freedom of thought, speech, choice etc.,

Well, I am wordless..but I know that I have the freedom to write if I choose to and I am happy about it

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that photo is too cute. one is snehu and other is me

Anil Gurwara said...

I should read this book!
Is this some kind of best seller or something?

Alin said...

yes ash! im the cuter one ;)

the book was a newyork times best seller. I dont happen to have the book unfortunately. will try to get it for you anil

Shobana Koshy Thomas said...

hey me wanna read the book too- if u think it is worth the read

The long sigh

"Oh thank you my darling" said the gentleman in his hoarse, yet strangely calming voice.  I involuntarily let out a long sigh that...