Friday, May 16, 2008

The Macaws

About a month ago, a lady walked up to me and pointed on the word on my well worn-out t-shirt’s sleeve. “Great fonts. ‘Macaws’, Do you work for this company?”

“Oh no, this is not the name of a company. ‘Macaws’ are a kind of multi coloured birds.”

“I see, so you have birds for pets?”

“Not really. This is a group’s name”

“A rock band?”

:) “ No, just a group of students”

**********Flashback***********

“Maakkaas?” my sister made a show of suppressing her laughter.
“Uh no. its Macaws..say ‘Ma-khaus’. Isn’t it cool?” that was me trying to make her see how seriously out-of-the-world-ly cool the name that we had chosen for our group was.

We were a group of 11 odd MBA students and were doing a truly no-nonsense project for the Electronic Corporation of Tamilnadu. More than half way through the exercise, we realised that we didn’t have a group name! No identity, no brand, not to mention a lack of total focus of contemplative collective mission and…well, did I tell you that I was doing my degree in management?

After days and nights of bashing of a poor group mate's brains - courtesy 'follow-ups' by moi, up we came with an innovative and catchy name.

“Maakkaas!”
“Nooooooo! Macaws! beautiful, multi-coloured, vibrant, new world..
“Parrots!” said my sister with a made-up sneer on her face. She was clearly enjoying this.
“Er..Well, they are birds..ya, sort of.. parrots. But they are colourful and intelligent and..
“hee ha ha ha…Maakkaas”
“Aaaaaaah”

Teena came in later that evening and I hurried up to her to show our rad group name.
“Hmm, what does it mean?”
Super, so here was a person who was really interested in the details. I explained to her animatedly.
“Sounds good..makas”
“Oh nooooo. Its macaws! Say..
“Oh ok”

At the final event, all of us were sporting brand new t-shirts that had the Electronics Corporation’s logo on one sleeve and “The Macaws” on the other and spent a good part of all the days we were at it explaining what our group name meant to anyone who cared to ask. Somehow I never got tired of explaining to people what the word meant, but it sure freaked me out when they mispronounced it.

It was a refreshing feeling to hear this stranger pronounce it right :)

4 comments:

Vignesh said...

hey good post... gang names are intrinsic part of everyones college life..

the gang name is a great unifier ... it develops an attitute and an identity..ours was "THE GODZ" (Nw i looks so dumb:P)...

Anush said...

so are the macaws still flyin together? [:)]

hey just said it out aloud. Sounds like - "My Cows" [:)]

Unknown said...

Whatup Sneha,
How is it going?
Liked reading abt the Macaws.
What are they again?! :-)
Sumesh

Alin said...

he he, anna, im assuning that was a joke. nothing much this side, how areyou?? i cant see your blog...are you keeping it a secret?

The long sigh

"Oh thank you my darling" said the gentleman in his hoarse, yet strangely calming voice.  I involuntarily let out a long sigh that...